Thursday 14 July 2016

DIY // Patch Bag

I've decided to be more daring with my style, and as I usually stick to plain bags that have some studs, or embellishment on, but nothing too wild, I've decided - to hell with it. I'm gonna have funky bags and try mixing prints, colours and textures more with my styling!

 So, I saw Zara's patch bag recently in a YouTube video and I thought that's a pretty cool bag, so looked online and it was £30. My guess is that it might be quite popular, you could be walking down the street and someone will have the same bag as you...not cool. I hate having clothes and accessories that others do, as I like to be different and not have the same as others...So I decided to make my own! I hope you enjoy this post, I thought I'd write about it and where I got everything from so that you can have a go! A quick and easy way to sass up your bag!

 I picked up the bag from Primark (in case it went wrong,then it didn't cost too much). I found the patches on eBay, they had loads of choice and for a great price. I got the POW, Star and Cactus for £5, and the 'C', Pineapple and Doughnut were a mere £2 each. I also ordered some badges to put on, but I thought they'd get caught and rip off, however they look cool on shirts, pockets and fabric bags. These were a bit more expensive, around £4 each, although a lot cheaper than in stores. I picked the cute tooth up in the Topshop sale for £1- Bargain! 

I looked into what to use to attach the patches, as I was not feeling sitting and sewing them on, no thankyouuuu! I researched and found that they make a super glue that is flexible, which is supposed to be better for leather and fabrics that bend. I got this glue off eBay for £3.10, and it seems to have worked, now I'll just have to see how it wears.

I started by trying different layouts of the patches, taking a picture on my phone of each one. I then went through my pictures and chose my favourite layout. 

I then applied a small amount of glue on the badges, not too close to the edge as it spills out from underneath, but close enough that the edges are attached to the bag. I then made sure I had it the correct way and in the right place before putting it down and pressing down on the patch all over. I didn't press down too hard as you'd probably end up with superglue all over your fingers. 
They were super easy to apply, with the pow one I just had to lift up the edges and place a small amount of glue on them as they were sticking up.

 All in all, it was super easy and it was done in less than 5 minutes. It's super personal, you get to choose what you want on it and you'll never see some one with the same bag, and it works out fairly cheap! I'm thinking of getting a rucksack or tote bag and adding a small cluster of patches in one corner.

Bag / £5
Patches / £10.80
Glue / £3.10
Total Cost of Bag / £18.90




 

Kurt Geiger / Safflano Leather Patch Pouch // £170
Zara / Patch Cross-Body Bag // £29.99
Anya Hindmarch / Stickers Leather Cross-Body Bag // £795

Hope you enjoyed this post, tag me in your customised bags on Instagram!
love you and leave you
Cassie X












No comments:

Post a Comment